Inflammation and atrophy of the gums
1.SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND RESULTS
The inflammation and atrophy of the gums is a very frequent problem.
Long-lasting inflammation results in gum atrophy, which can in turn lead to loosening or loss of teeth. In addition, the retraction of the gums reveals the dental neck, which is very sensitive.
2. TREATMENT OF INFLAMMATION AND ATRPHY OF THE GUMS
To date, no real treatment of this condition exists.
More severe inflammations are treated with antibiotics, but these are not suitable for chronic inflammations. Proper oral hygiene can slow down gum atrophy.
3. HOW CAN SAFE LASER HELP?
Laser therapy performed with Safe Laser, developed as a result of a 40-year-long medical laser research, has pain relieving, anti-inflammatory and biostimulating effects on the irradiated area.
Safe Laser 150 or Safe Laser 500 Infra devices with fiber optic are recommended for dentists.
The APDT – see below – is effective in treating gum inflammation and atrophy.
Yesterday at noon I felt that my gum was sensitive around the back molars. It was even worse when I touched it with my finger. Fortunately, I have Safe Laser 150 with fiber optic at home. I irradiated the sensitive, affected area for 1 minute in the afternoon and in the evening. When I woke up in the morning, I had no pain, and it was not sensitive even if I touched it.
Dr. György Hegedüs
New dimension in the painless and easy treatment of gum inflammation – APDT (antimicrobial photodynamic therapy) with Safe Laser
The advantages of APDT
- contrary to antibiotic treatments, there are no side effects (e.g. fungal infections, diarrhea, nausea due to the damage to the intestinal and vaginal flora)
- no resistance develops, which can be a significant problem of antibiotic treatments
- it is also effective against mixed infections, when it would be difficult to find the right combination of antibiotics
For an antimicrobial photodynamic therapy the following items are needed:
- photosensitizing material,
- laser light with proper wave length (660 nm).
In this way free oxygen radicals are generated in microorganisms, which eventually destroy them.
As a result of APDT a significant decrease of pathogens was observed for all tested categories. APDT offers an efficient, widely applicable and highly effective treatment of periodontal diseases and peri-implantitis.
APDT can be used in other fields of medicine as well, where infections can occur:
- In any kind of surgical interventions in order to prevent wound infection
- To clean up infected wounds
- Veterinary use for infected wounds
Steps of ADPT Treatment
- Step 0: Initial state with tartar
- Step 1: Preparations -antimicrobial photodynamic therapy
- Step 2: Staining of microorganisms
- Step 3: Removal of excess dye solution
- Step 4: Activation of the photosensitizer through laser irradiation
- Step 5: Formation of oxygen free radicals, destruction of pathogens
- This is followed by the staining of microorganisms in the treatment area. The dye solution is to be imparted from a syringe to the pockets and to the treatment area. A 2-minute period is enough for the microorganism to take up the dye.
- A methylene blue solution of 0.01% is recommended as photosensitizer.
- After the 2-minute photosensitization, the dye is to be washed off the mucous membranes in order to prevent it from accumulating in the mucosa cells, which may damage the mucous membranes.
- The radiation ON time depends on the performance of the laser equipment.
- The radiation ON time with a 660 nm, 100 mW fiber laser device for the methylene blue solution of 0.01% is 12 seconds. If the fiber optics cannot be placed directly on the surface for technical reasons or due to the patient’s pains, the diffraction of the laser light necessitates the extension of radiation ON time to 25 seconds, provided the surface is illuminated from 5 mm. This time is necessary to reach a performance of 4 J/cm2.
- For the best results, laser light is to be directed evenly and directly onto the treated area, preferably into the pocket.
- Through the energy transfer of the excited-state dye molecules, highly toxic free radicals are formed from the surrounding oxygen molecules, and the oxidative degeneration of the bacterial cell wall destroys the bacteria.
- During the process toxicity develops exclusively locally (up to a distance of 1-2 mm) without any environmental or further impacts.
Call or send a message!
+36 70 420 1395
Which device is right for your problem?
Information about Safe Laser 150, 500 infra and 1800 infra